Monday, May 16, 2011

DWD- Gnawbone 50 Mi Race Report

Well the good news is that I finished with no knee pain!! I ended up taking four ibuprofen throughout the race as sort of a preventative measure but I'm feeling fine today so that's all I care about.

Bernie and I planned on meeting up and running the race together and we didn't know if we'd see Bryan (who we ran some with at Green Swamp) or not. At the start we ended up seeing Bryan and also met his friend, Chris. I also saw Greg who I ran the same race with in '09 so that was neat.

So Bernie and my plan had been to finish sub-10, if possible. That would be cutting 19 minutes off my '09 time. That would be great. So Bernie, Bryan, Chris and I got together at the start and ended up running the entire 50 miles together. That is the first that I've stuck with that big of a group for an entire 50 miles. It was great having different conversation and also having different people support you when you're feeling weak, and vice versa.

From miles 1-30 we ran at a 12:2 interval pace (as well as walking hills) and then around 35 switched it to 10:2 and then I think around 38 or 40 we switched it to 8:2. It was working great the whole time and I felt like we were strong and not all tired and slow at the end. There were a lot of hills like I remembered but I didn't mind them as much and I felt like we made good progress. From roughly mile 25 on we didn't pass anyone and no one passed us; that was weird.

So anyway, what I'm really confused/surprised/disappointed about is our time. Once we knew we couldn't make sub-10 I was hoping for at least a sub-10:19 so I could beat my previous time. Nope. Somehow we finished in 11:12. I guess the time was okay overall since we were like 12th/80 entrants but I'm still confused as to how it took so long if we felt so good. Did the intervals end up screwing us? We did them at Green Swamp and felt like it was working and I felt like it worked this time...but maybe not. It seems like in '09 I was feeling good but that the hills were really hard on me. So how come I felt better this time but with a slower time? The trail/temp conditions were very similiar.

Another thing that bothers me is that I got 2nd female in this race and the first female finished in 10:19. That was my '09 time which means I could have beaten or tied her if I was in the same shape. What happened?? I'm confused and concerned. Am I more out of shape this year? If so, what does that mean about the people I ran with? I know that Bernie and Bryan were putting in more miles than me and we stayed together.

Oh well. Oh well.

Here's us coming in the finish line (Thanks for the pics, Angel).




Enough about that. Post-race we jumped in the lake and it was glorious.



More post- race:








So, next on the list is Mohican and unfortunately this race kind of made me more scared of it. I just had all these memories of aches and pains and trying really hard to finish it. Ugh! I have to finish...I don't want to try to have to finish this race a million times. I doubt I'll get in a lot more training because of the P90x so it'll have to be 99% mental strength. But about Mohican- Bryan said he's probably going to run the 100 with us and Chris might pace us so that'd be tight. It'd be Bernie, Bryan, Chris, and good ole SeƱor Bill.

3 comments:

Chris Beck said...

CLARA!!! I found your blog while looking for trails at Hocking Hills for Memorial Day weekend (which I haven't found yet) but in my Googling came across *someone's* race report from DWD and ... well, if it isn't yours! : )

I was also surprised by our finish time. I thought we were on a faster pace. I think the clocks were all off (or we were abducted by aliens around mile 32 and we just simply don't remember). In any case, I appreciate the report and pics - I really enjoyed the race and am itching or the next one.

I am totally fired up about pacing at Mohican and would like to help you guys achieve your goals however I can. Already back on the trails today with a 5 AM (muddy, hilly and dark) run this morning - no 12:2 today though - all 12:0.

Cheers!

Chris

Clara said...

Hey Chris! That would be awesome if you would pace us; thank you so much! We'll keep in touch and hopefully get a training run in together before 6/18.

Unknown said...

Hey Clara. I remembered your blog and thought I'd see what you had to say about Gnaw Bone. Regarding 09 vs. 11 finishing times: I recall that you, Andrew, and I pushed the pace pretty hard in 09. I know that Andrew and I didn't break stride (other than on uphills) until we hit a paved section around mile 44-45 after the long climb up from Ogle Lake (different course layout that year). I had some bad quad burn that I walked out after a few minutes, then we cranked the last 4 miles. So mostly we were pushing it all race, and I think you were with us until well into the second loop. I don't know if the walk breaks you did this year were enough to account for the time difference, but it's possible. Plus who knows how accurate those course distances actually are.

Andrew and I accomplished our goals at Gnaw Bone--we both needed leisurely runs that wouldn't wipe us out for the races ahead. I ran with Andrew at his 50-mile pace until the split, then brought it in a bit harder to finish the 50K. I've got the Kettle Moraine 100 in a couple of weeks; Andrew has Western States a few weeks after that.

Nice to see you again. I'll probably do the Hell 50-mi again this year. Good luck at Mohican!

-Greg