Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cure to fat hands?




I have noticed that after running short and long distances (usually in cold weather) my hands seem to blow up like a huge rubber glove. They get super puffy and typically turn white.

The first time I noticed this was when I was running outside with Chris and we had run about 5 hours. We stopped to take a break and I took off my tiny gloves. I freaked out because when I took them off I saw huge marshmellow-looking hands and I didn't know why. They didn't hurt or anything (even though they were numb since it was cold out), they were just huge.

Well thanks to Chris, I realized I'm not the only one suffering from ugly fat hands. According to some people's experiences, I might need to take some elctrolyte capsules or something- hmm. See the link that Chris found: Fat Hands.

I later asked my doctor about my hands and my circulation (since my hands are always freezing and purple) and she thought it was probably linked to Raynaud's Disease. It basically means you can't do much to fix it and you just live with ugly, fat, cold hands. See this post for more info on Raynaud's Disease.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really scary. You should've taken a picture of them. Maybe you should just keep your running to around marathon length (and maybe ultras), but not worry so much about completing the fifty-milers?