Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Blister Mess

I ran 50 miles in May and I think I only had one blister on my big toenail, which made it come off. While running, I didn't even know I had that blister because it didn't bother me at all. So the question is, why did I get so many blisters during this race- which was only apx 13 miles longer.

There are many possible factors:
  • New shoes: Not broken in enough yet or just not the right pair of shoes for me
  • Longer Distance
  • Different Terrain: more rocks, longer hills
  • Running in foot-deep puddles, keeping my feet wet for over an hour

Who knows. My shoes are so muddy and gross still (yes, they're still wrapped up in a plastic bag from the race) that I don't know if I'll use them again for long races. Too much of a risk. Maybe I should resort back to my good ole Nike trail shoes.

Anyway- enjoy the other pictures:






2 comments:

la mama said...

That's so gross, Clara! Your feet definitely looked back-to-normal by the next morning.

Alan said...

Great photos - I have hosted a few of my post-race feet snap shots too:
http://endurazone.blogspot.com/2008/05/keys-ultra-100-miler-dnf-redemption-in.html

http://endurazone.blogspot.com/2008/02/trial-of-errros-and-pains.html

I think for you it had to do with wet shoes coupled with the uneven terrain.

Great report!